Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Pocket Thoughts


In my first batch of zines from fellow Canadian zinester Ryan I received Silly Stanzas, Pocket Thoughts 1 & Pocket Thoughts 2. A lot of my review will be what I also said in my review on his Etsy shop, mainly because it’s still an accurate summary of my thoughts. I ended up finding Ryan on Etsy and had his zines waiting in my cart until I had money. As I was waiting I saw a video from fiveoclockzine on Instagram. He said Pocket Thoughts was humorous and entertaining and just thinking about the zine brought a smile and a chuckle to him, so I knew I had to have it.
Silly Stanzas
This is a great collection of poetry and art. You really get to see a unique voice given to common topics such as Full House, Super Mario Bros, and clouds. I believe my favourite poem was “Girls Will Be Girls,” such a different take on the thought. And as it turns out some of the poems featured in this zine are actually songs he made. Click here to listen to Girls Will Be Girls on Youtube. [It’s too late Ryan. You already told me about the song. You can never take it back!]
Side note: I have very poor and rusty French, in fact, I never really knew French despite having been forced to take it in school for years… But I am fairly certain it says, “I am a great bicycle yes yes, no no” in French. And that made my day.
Pocket Thoughts 1
What a great assortment of random thoughts. This definitely had me laughing out loud at some points, and a moment later it had me questioning if I am using soap to it’s fullest potential (and other deep thoughts). He has such a unique sense of humour. Loved reading this!
Pocket Thoughts 2
Not only is this an amazing assortment of thoughts, but it was a lot of relatable of thoughts. Just like with Pocket Thoughts #1 this issue continues to be a perfect combination of laugh-out-loud funny thoughts and ponderings of depth. So glad I have a copy.
Check Pocket Thoughts out:
On Etsy – On Instagram – On Twitter – On Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment